C2

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

I AM................

Finish this sentence: "I am ________."

You can only use one word. Hmmm, if I can only use one word, I think the word that would best described me would be “compassionate.” I am very sympathetic to others' distress but I also desire to lessen their dilemma, whatever it may be. Just the other day, a co-worker took me aside and said “once again, you have inspired me.” (I had recently started her on a new weight loss program) I was like “wow, okay, how have I inspired you?” She said you are a very compassionate person and I want to strive to become more like you. WOW! :-)

Being compassionate means practicing patience. Working in the legal field, I meet and know a lot of folks who are tired, stressed, irritated, anxious, or worn down from the demands of life, and sometimes it causes them to act more harshly or less graciously than they otherwise would. Although it is far too easy for us who do not see the reasons behind their behavior to respond in kind, which would only give them additional ammunition to be hostile and continue the cycle of bad feelings and anger, I try and not judge them. I always try the gentle reply first, even in the face of provocation because usually it can turn aside antagonism and prevent it from perpetuating itself. In my experience, usually 8 out of 10 times, the person who is upset will usually respond favorably when being approached with compassion rather than aggression. Being a compassion person definitely encourages me to take all mitigating factors into account before I react.

Most of us, when we see somebody who seems very different from ourselves, will turn away. We barely give them a second chance and deprive ourselves a peek inside their minds and hearts. But when we have compassion, we can accept the differences in others. And then, we can come to enjoy the differences, and be enriched by them. I have met many of my friends this way! They seemed very unapproachable at first and we seemed worlds apart, but we became the best of friends over time. :-)

As humans, we all have a strong drive to contribute, to make some kind of positive difference in the world. I believe I make a difference to those around me, in the most gentle and silent of ways. I walk the walk and talk the talk! What you see is what you get so to speak! I truly believe others take notice in my actions and for the first time in a long while I feel I have direction, clarity and purpose. I have created a compassionate path and I think I will be taking a walk down its winding ways for a very long time to come.

Personal: I wanted to wish my hubby a HAPPY ANNIVERSARY tomorrow. You are truly top notch honey. Thanks for all the wonderful laughs through the years. I love you bunches Babe! :-) I've attached one of my favorite pictures of him taken by one our friends. (Thanks Suz!)





3 Comments:

At 6:14 PM, Blogger mb said...

That's beautiful. I'm always so happy to hear when people actually verbalize their appreciation and encouragement. Many never say anything. Congratulations on the anniversary!

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!

That is a GREAT pic of your hubby!!

Your post was AWESOME..thank you so much.

Love ya babe.

 
At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool post! Cheers to your anniversary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home