C2

Friday, July 13, 2007

Friday the 13th Special

Good day you beautiful people. Life is good, is it not? I have to start by saying that I DO NOT think I am the best driver in the world, BUT I am a safe driver. Now for my post! :-)

I have found that we all have areas in life where we can improve. My friend who recently moved to New York asked me what I could improve on and I said my “attitude.” She thought I was being funny because she said I have a great attitude and then I enlightened her. My attitude BEHIND the wheel. When I am out and about, driving around town, other drivers, literally DRIVE me insane. It seems that everywhere I go, I am confronted with people whose driving skills leave something to be desired.


As Kevin is my witness, not one single day has gone by without viewing at the least one wreck on the side of the road. Sometimes we WITNESS the wreck. Last Friday, some knucklehead came flying off a highway ramp and decided he didn’t want to stop at the red light. We had the green light and at the very last moment, he slammed on his brakes and then gave us a thumb’s up sign. Nice, you little heathen. ;-) Well, what do you think happened? The gal behind him slammed into him! I truly am not an evil person, but, heck don’t you think he deserved it? I feel bad for the gal who hit him but she should have been paying attention too!

Why are there so many wreckless drivers out there? A few observations that I have made are people just do not give a flying rats behind about anyone around them. They drive with little regard for their own safety or the safety of those around them. My favorite is the cars that simply do not seem to come with blinkers. These particular drivers drive as if they are the most important person on the road and will actually turn into your lane without so much as a signal as if to dare you to hit them. It is insane, and the worst part is there is NEVER a police officer around to issue them a citation.


Kevin and I have watched time and time again as brazen fools cut off other cars causing everyone in their lane to apply their brakes. The backup caused in those lanes eventually lead to the conjestion. All so one car could get 2 car lengths ahead of the pack. The odd thing is about half the time someone else further up the line has done the same thing forcing the other driver to end up 5 car lengths behind were they started.

Just yesterday on my way over to pick up Kevin, some guy pulled out from a local gym, driving with one hand, talking on his cell phone, all the while trying to execute a turn, but managed to turn into oncoming traffic. BOZO! I had to come to a complete stop, which made the people behind me screech to a halt and he acted as if it wasn’t a big deal. Give me a break. People be alert and aware of your surroundings…. Many people are way too distracted to be behind a wheel. Whether they are talking on their cell phone, eating food, disciplining their children, or just not paying attention to their driving in general, they are not paying attention to the top priority of the moment as they barrel down the road in a half-ton piece of metal and plastic with wheels. When people are not paying attention, collisions will occur.

I think it is very disheartening to consider it an accomplishment to get from point A to point B and not get run over by someone not paying attention to their driving because they have their cell phone glued to their ear. So my goal is to change my attitude while I am behind the wheel. Being more courteous to other drivers. Like letting a car cut in front of me when I can see that there are quite a few cars behind me that might not let them. It might make all of the difference in someone else’s driving experience and make them more courteous and me have a better attitude.

When I told Kevin about this new goal, he simply said “that will be a challenge.” We shall see! ;-)

3 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Blogger Lori said...

It's not just on the road either, me and Casey were on bicycles on a trail and some jerk cut us off. The trail had a detour and it was gravel. We slowed down like the sign said and were just about to hit the gravel and here comes this idiot out of nowhere and cuts right in front of us on a narrowed path.

 
At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been on the drivers side of a lot of autos' and have whitnessed what you said and realise that what we can not fix we should not break. So when it happens again, smile like you do so well, and wish the person a better day then he / she is having right now.
Canada DAD

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

ugh..I can relate with everything you posted. My 16 year old drives cautious when we are in the car, but I often wonder what goes on when we are not there. YIKES!

I am still in shock that that have not banned using cell phones while driving. Crazy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home