C2

Monday, June 18, 2007

COLLECTIVE SIGH

Okay, I want everyone to collectively inhale, take a long deep breath, now exhale. Okay? Feel any better? Everywhere I turn, everywhere I go, everyone seems stressed out. The way I see it is, there are four ways we all can deal with the stress: lash out at others (bad, bad choice) or laugh it off, shrug it off or roll with the punches. I know at times it is easier said than done. For instance, I find it hard to deal with people who work in customer service, but don’t give you that “customer” service. When people are rude to me, it really sets me off because I would never think of treating someone like that. When we are treated like that, however, we have to consciously fight off the negativity in our lives, to make sure it doesn't consume us. It really can take over and bring us down and put us in a funk. Not good, not good at all!


If you have heard of the "pay it forward" concept where if you do something nice, then others will do something nice as well, I think the same is true of being rude or angry. If you are rude and angry, then others will pick up on that negativity. Seems like the last couple of weeks, I have run into a lot of people in just foul moods. I have had people be rude to me when I did nothing to provoke it. I have one lady in my office building who will push me out of her way to get on the elevator. She is an elderly lady who just charges forward. I have learned to wait for another elevator. Once she hit me in the head with her umbrella. Seriously! :-) Did I take it personally? No, because I didn’t provoke her. I was just on my way up to my floor. I chalk it up to people not being happy in their own life. I have also overheard people being rude and disrespectful to other shoppers and store clerks. Have you ever went into a grocery store and had someone “refuse” to move their cart? I have even after saying excuse me about five times. It becomes quite alarmingly that there are a lot of people out there who just don’t care who they offend. Sometimes we can let the behavior of others, get to us. I find myself “checking” my attitude a lot. I don’t need the negativity in my life. Who wants to be in a funk? I sure don’t. I tend to be upbeat and positive most of the time but when you get placed into these situations, how do you react?


My plan of action. I am going to work really hard to fight off the negativity thrown my way. I am going to rise above it. I am going to make even more of an effort to smile at those who are grumpy and in a foul mood, even if it makes them grumpier. :-) I am going to let drivers into my lane with a friendly wave (I know this is a hard one for me Kevin), and if someone lets me into a lane, I will make sure to give them a friendly wave. I am going to compliment someone today. I am going to be pleasant to everyone I encounter. Simply, I am going to pay it forward with kindness. Maybe it will catch on.


FATHER’S DAY: Happy Father's Day to all you wonderful Fathers out there. Especially to my Dad, Jerry and Kevin's Dad, Sheldon. Simply the best you two!


Yesterday we went to a combo Father's Day celebration/7th Birthday Party (my nephew’s Zach's birthday)over at David and Debbie's house! We had a blast. David enjoyed BBQing for everyone and we pretty much sat outside and enjoyed the weather. It was a bit hot but with the wind and the kids playing in the sprinkler, it was pleasant enough. They had tons of delicious food there and the company was enjoyable. It is always great to hang out with my brothers and their families and laugh! Good times!

FENCE UPDATE: Kevin has the fence up and just has to connect the posts to the neighbor’s fence. Even though it wasn’t my idea for him to take on such a daunting task, I am proud of him for sticking with it even though in his words it was “the worst decision he ever made.” The fence looks great and Stoli will be the happiest dog in the world. He finally will have his yard back after almost a year! He told me he “woofs” (loves) his Daddy! :-)

2 Comments:

At 6:45 AM, Blogger Lori said...

I would have to had to say something to the pushy lady at the elevator. Someone needs to put her in her place. I should come to your workplace and tell her off. LOL

 
At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey;
I updated my myspace and blog. I had it set to private for a while but it's back. Let me know what you think. I also posted new pictures of my band. :)
Miss you guys!
xo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home