C2

Sunday, November 09, 2008

ARE YOU "REALLY" LISTENING?

Take a few moments and reflect back to a time you were having a conversation with someone. As you talked with them, was anybody home? Meaning you knew their "lights" were on, but they weren't actually there. Sometimes this happens to me (and no it isn't with my hubby, lol)! I am talking away and all of a sudden I realize that the person I am talking to is far, far away in dreamland somewhere.

Now think back and reflect on how many times we actually do this to other people. If you think hard enough, I bet you realize you have indeed done it to others. The problem with this IS sometimes the person talking to us may really need our prayers or may really need us to hear what they are saying. What if we were the only friend that they confided in? (Now I know a lot of people say "you are the only person I am telling this to" and then you find out they told half the world. That is NOT who/what I am talking about).

And sometimes while we are listening to their experience, we start wondering about ours and want to jump in with our own experiences and thoughts in an attempt to help them. This is not listening. True listening involves allowing the person to get off their chest whatever issues they are having WITHOUT interruption or us telling them about our own personal experience. I am guilty of this sometimes. I USUALLY strive to be a better listener and wait until they tell me what is on their mind and then I give them my advice BUT only after they have gotten everything off their chest.

My advice: Be genuinely concern when a friend needs to talk to you; save all of your own experiences for another time or after they are completely finished with whatever is bothering them; PRAY for your friend without ceasing and really listen when they need an ear.

Listening sometimes can be one of the best presents we can give to our family, friends and co-workers. :)

3 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with this. It's probably why even strangers will tell me their entire life story! I really try to be a good listener without interrupting or interjecting my own stories or experiences until AFTER they are done. I've always felt that some people don't have anyone to talk to and EVERYONE needs SOMEONE to just LISTEN sometimes.

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger Stef said...

I think it takes a conscious effort to really LISTEN to what other people are saying. It is almost automatic to jump right in and give our two cents or our own story, etc....

Although, I do strive to be a good listener...it never hurts to be reminded.

xo

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger marilee said...

You are a fabulous listener and you truly care. One of the many reasons why I love you soooooooooo much :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home