C2

Friday, December 21, 2007

HURRY UP AND WAIT! UGH!


I usually don’t post negative comments or thoughts on my blog. For those who know me well, know that I’m just not that kind of person but this subject REALLY upsets me. Just last night, there were two fatality accidents in our area. I didn’t know either victim but it still broke my heart that there are families out there grieving. How shocking to receive the news that your loved one passed away especially around the holiday season. :-( All because the driver of the vehicle was NOT paying attention or going to fast. This is madness and drives me insane. Seriously, what is so darn important that you have to risk your life and others? I say STOP the madness. What is the hurry??? Just take a minute to think about why you are going so fast. Is getting to your destination 10 minutes late just not an option? What would the damage be??

While I have some sympathy for people in a hurry (and I don’t have much unless you are a person of authority who needs to be some where to save a person’s life or you have an injured child), the general truth is that impatience on the highway can kill, and letting the urge to drive faster than all other people overtake your thoughts, is a road that will only lead to a serious accident. Cars and especially SUVs can’t respond quickly enough at high speeds to human reflexes when a road hazard such as deer, children, or other vehicles appear in front of your vehicle.

I have witnessed people driving (speeding) along, zooming in and out of lanes, trying to get ahead. By the time I get to the red light, there he or she is right along side me. Now I ask …what was the purpose of their pole position driving? They haven’t gotten any further along than I did. Hurry up and wait!
There are so many other reasons why people get into accidents too.

There is no denying that cell phones do distract some drivers. I have a friend who starts dialing her phone as soon as she gets in the car. It is as if making a phone call is as essential to operating the vehicle as turning the key and putting it in gear.

Just the other day, some woman, completely oblivious to me, pulled out in front of me. Never stopped coming out of the parking lot. Never saw me. She was completely absorbed in a conversation on her phone. I'm sure the conversation she was having was more important than her life or mine. :(

But it is not just cell phones. I see people who are putting on makeup, eating (actually eating a bowl of cereal with a spoon, come on already), playing with the radio and even reading, all the while behind the wheel of a car.

And it never fails, I always seen a lady or two behind the wheel putting on her makeup. It is one thing to do it while you are stopped at a traffic light, I suppose, but I have seen women doing it while going 75 mph down the highway during rush hour! Here is an idea. Get out of bed 15/20 minutes earlier so you can get ready before you leave the house.

A few days ago, I was behind someone who completely disappeared from view because he was looking for something, probably something insignificant, on the floorboard of the car, all while the car was in motion.

Now I don't claim to be a saint in this area myself BUT I do know that while I am driving it is my No. 1 priority at the moment. I do not want to be responsible for or be the cause of an accident that could injure me or others or even worse their death. So if you are reading this and are one of these “types” of drivers, please please slow down and pay attention. I don’t want to read about you in the paper or get a call to tell me you are in the hospital or dead. I love you too much not to mention this.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, let's spend our time doing what we are supposed to be doing behind the wheel, which is paying close attention to the road and the other drivers on it.

2 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Blogger Colorado Kid said...

Love the hurry up and wait post.. LOL... I am glad to see others notice these issues other than just law enforcement officers. We had a head on collision the other night on US 169 highway and had to close traffic for over 3 hours. Then we had to direct the traffic around the accident.

We had so many people trying to talk on their phones while we tried to direct them that it was driving us crazy... Finally we just had to laugh or we were going to lose it....

Thanks for your support. I have had friends come out of the wood work over the last couple of weeks. Some I have not had contact for over 2 years.

The lady who really opened my eyes was a close friend in my home town in colorado. She has gone through so much this year I hate even tell her about my minor issues. On valentines day of 2007 she found out her husband had been cheating on her. He worked over seas and had been having an affair for some time. He flew home when she confronted him and they were going to try to work it out. He suffered from depression and they were even going to go see a doctor to try to help him. However the day before their doctors appointment he shot himself in front of her in their kitchen.... So you can see how it's tough to tell her my problems, I have none, compared to her...

Thanks again for all your support...

Have a merry Christmas and love and enjoy your family and be safe!!!

Casey

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Lori said...

All so true!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home