C2

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Hustle & Bustle

The holidays are an exciting time of year and we can get pretty wrapped up in all the things we have to get done before the festivities begin. During the hustle and bustle of holiday shopping and discount deals, it is easy to get caught up in the moment and forget to put our safety first. We all need a gentle reminder that we need to be aware of our safety while we are out shopping. This can be a very cruel world. Be alert and aware of your surroundings AT ALL TIMES. Everyone deserves to be safe this season.

I am telling you this because last night one of my friends was robbed at Oak Park Mall. This is not a Mall in the bad part of town, this is in a highly respectable uptown neighborhood. She was out for a night of shopping and was heading up the stairs in the parking garage when from behind she was shoved to the ground. The young man who shoved her down, then tried to yank her purse from her grip (unsuccessfully I might add). Before really giving it much thought and I am sure going off of adrenaline, she swung her legs around knocking the guy off balance making him crash to the ground. She then yelled and ran up the stairs to security. The police were called but the attempted robber got away. The only thing he got away with was a few bumps and bruises all courtesy of my friend who was defending herself.

I know we are all busy and have a lot on our minds this time of year but please be ALERT. I know how easily it can be to get caught up in the moment during this holiday season. It only takes a split second for something horrific to happen.

One day last Fall, I decided to run errands over my lunch break. Yes, I was in a hurry and had to make one final stop before going back to the office. Normally, I am very aware of my surroundings and always look around. This time I did NOT! UGH! What a stupid thing to do. As I was getting into my vehicle and as I was about to shut my door, there was a lady between me and my car door! OMGoodness, was I ever scared. For JUST one stinkin moment, I was utterly paralyzed. I couldn’t move, couldn’t speak, nothing. But then all of a sudden, everything I had been taught about self defense started running through my mind. I positioned my keys between my fingers, I started glancing around to see if there were other people around. Unfortunately, right next to my vehicle was a guy sitting in it. I though instantly it was her accomplice. :( In that moment, I truly thought I was a goner. But then the lady started to ask me for money (over and over again) and I told her I just spent the last few dollars I had in the store. She said well I need some cash. I told her I didn’t have any and to please move. This conversation took all but two minutes but it seemed like an eternity to me. I think she realized that she was scaring the you know what out of me because she started saying “OH MY GOD, you don’t think I’m trying to rob you do you? It isn’t for me. The money is for my friend over there.” Yeah whatever. Get out of my way so I can shut my door. She finally moved out of the way, at which point I slammed the door, locked it and called the police. She was out in the parking lot trying to solicit money from other folks when the police arrived… How scary! When I walked out of the store, I had no idea what she was doing because I didn’t look around. I could have prevented the whole scene IF I had been aware of my surroundings. I am sure I wasn’t the first person she approached. I would have known that if I had been looking around. :(

After it was all over and I was back at the office, I was REALLY angry at myself for letting it ever happen in the first place. I truly pride myself on being alert and recognizing threats and responding accordingly. You can ask my best friend in Phoenix, I am the biggest chicken S&@T in the world if it means I’ll be safe! ;)

I know no matter how alert and sensible we all try to be, this kind of thing can happen to any of us. But I believe reminding all of you can and will make it a little less likely. So I am asking that no matter how important you think that last minute gift is, your safety and your life is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more important and much more valuable. Please be aware.

LOVE YOU ALL! :)

1 Comments:

At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some scary things there. So glad you and your friend were both alright in both those instances. I'm originally from NYC and you learn pretty quickly to never let down your guard. Hearing of people being robbed and pushed into the train tracks, really makes you afraid of NOT being aware of your surroundings. Thanks for the reminder. Crime happens all around us. HUGS girly! Love you too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home