C2

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Just A Sister

Sunday morning as I sat in church, I looked down the pew and SMILED. Seated, were a few of my brothers and my parents. I truly am appreciative of my family. I have always been close to my brothers but as we get older (hmph), we seem to connect even more.

So I begin today with a blog about my brothers. Hmmm, where do I even begin a blog about my brothers? I guess the beginning seems like a nice place....I have two older brothers and three younger brothers. When I was younger I always wanted a younger sister--someone to share secrets, share clothes, share friends, etc. But through the years I have shared all those things and more with my brothers (except the clothes part). There have been many times where I sit and wonder what I did to deserve the brothers I have. If you want to see really good quality guys, you just have to meet them. They are the best fathers and husbands in the world (they married pretty fantastic women too). They are kind, funny, respectful, hard workers, spiritual, caring, protective. (is it prideful for one to go on and on about your family?).

We have all laughed together (we do A LOT of that), cried together, shared disappointments, stood up for one another, defended one another and shared exciting times. We have so many wonderful memories together! We are allies in a common cause; we share similar pains and similar joys. We have been through so much as a family, but one thing has stayed constant in our busy, hectic, ever-changing lives, and that is the support of one another. No matter what is going on in our lives, we have always been there for each other. Yes we had/have those days when we don't get along, but for the most part we have awesome relationships with one another, relationships I feel lucky to be a part of and I wouldn't trade my brothers for anything in this world!

When I was growing up, my brothers and I used to spend most summer days and evenings out in the street, playing street games with the neighborhood kids, starting huge water fights or just playing a game of football/baseball with just the six of us. I also remember times when we would fling ourselves on our bikes and ride off to spend the afternoon in the sun or swimming in the pool with our sunglasses ON. :-) But when the rains came and we had to amuse ourselves indoors with various toys, we just simply brought the fun indoors. We would play with a variety of different toys that were popular during that time, act like we were singers (remember Elvis, Jerry? or the Grease diddy Paul?), hide and go seek, board games, baseball card games. (You remember those don’t you, Paul & David????) :) I could go on and on about all the things we did together but I'm sure those reading this blog would become bored because it would be endless.

Each of my brothers has left an impression on me. Jerry, the oldest, has always been the protector of the family. Growing up, he was WAY more mature than the rest of us but he still managed to always take time out of his day to play a game of baseball or football.

Bill, the comedian, is hilarious to be around (he is the one in the pictures below with the hula skirt on his HEAD). I was "grounded" a lot because of him but it never stopped me from following him around and heading into another "Nichols Adventure." Bill would give you the shirt of his back and I think he has a time or two! :-)

Then there are the "two babies." At least that is what we called them until they were in high school! Just kidding.... it was more like middle school! ;) Paul, the tough one, is a sweetheart even though he comes off as being gruff and tough. He has a heart of gold and can make your heart melt just by giving you one of his lopsided grins! :)

Then there is David, the baby, the sweet angel who made us all realize growing up what a "doll" really was. He is the most generous and devoted man I have ever met.

Will
came along when David was 14 and we spoiled him rotten. He will entertain you for hours with his continuous impersonations of celebrities! :-)

All of the experiences with them and the incredible gifts of resilience, optimism, humor, and strength from my brothers I have used in my every day life to keep the positive flowing. ALL of them have defined me and made me who I am today.

I love you Bros! :)

3 Comments:

At 7:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like you and your brothers had a great time growing up. I missed out - single child with cousins who lived 1000 miles away. I have two kids now and they seem to enjoy each other's company (for now)!

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

ahh I loved reading all that.

What special brothers you have.

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

E ~

I am sure your brothers feel the same way about you.

Kellie (from Texas)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home